Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sometimes my own senses come first

Twitter has proven to be a great educational experience for me. I tweet with a grand group of nature people who share interesting photos, web links and thoughts on ecology and living green...as well as their fun interpretations of life.

Recent pics from one of my favorite bird photographers, @Kerrifar showed birds eating off a wreath she had hanging in her yard. The birds seemed happy, the wreath was creatively decorated with seed covered suet decor which looked pretty and I thought...heck, I could do THAT!

Now mind you, in Florida you can't really provide suet encased in birdseed as attracting decorations...the sun just turns it into a gloppy, mold ridden mess (a lesson learned early on with my hanging suet feeder), but I had other ideas!

I have native grapes on my fences and the vines tend to get out of hand at this time of year. I cut back some and created a grapevine "base" for my bird-feeding wreath. I tied a fallen slash pinecone to the top. I added some sprigs of various native plants which have recently gone to seed: Carolina Redroot, Black-eyed Susans, Bushy Bluestem, Tall Elephantfoot and a few different forms of sedge. I then added some color in the form of berries sprigs from the Gallberry and Dahoon holly.

Now, what makes me think the birds will flock to my wreath when they have all the given ingredients at their beck and call throughout my property? Well, I don't actually think they will, but it gives a nice decorative touch for MY senses. On the other hand, if you don't have a bounty of wild things at your own place, perhaps you could obtain the ingredients from someone who does and make a native plant bird feeder to hang in your own yard...for those less fortunate "city" birds! Look at the two mine has attracted already!

1 comment:

Kerri Farley said...

I LOVE your wreath! And thanks so much for mentioning me!! I apologize that I haven't seen it earlier than this but had family emergency!

I actually got MY inspiration for this type of wreath from Joan - http://joansnaturejournal.blogspot.com/2009/02/sugar-maple-and-sapsucker-be-my.html

She also tweets occasionally at: JoanfromVA

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...