Saturday, September 8, 2012

New Garden Visitor?

It would seem I have a new garden visitor (or two). I haven't actually seen him(her?), but I saw unmistakable signs today. Down close to the pond, I found two piles of scat…deer scat.

I haven't seen deer in the neighborhood for quite a while. They use to cross my street pretty regularly around dusk, just down at the wooded area line about 3 properties away from me. I suspected that they had a regular corridor there.

"My" deer must be really something, as they have to hop a 4-1/2 foot fence to get in. I guess since I restricted the doggies to the front of the property with the new fence that there is no longer the scent of what I suspect the deer would view as a type of predator, or a least a pest they could do without.

So, now I will have to watch at dusk, dawn and in the middle of the night with the hopes of seeing my new garden critters perhaps watering down at the pond. Based on the looks of the scat, it appears they are enjoying the ripening drupes of the winged sumac (Rhus copallinum). Welcome to my world.

4 comments:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I had to laugh as I knew that scat right away...there is so much for deer to browse outside the fence but they make a regular meal of my red-twig dogwood

Unknown said...

Ah Loert! Who else posts a picture of scat..lol!

Mary Pellerito said...

I found a pile of scat smack dab in the middle of my vegetable garden this spring. I think we need to put up an 8-10 foot fence. I do love deer, but not in my vegetable garden.

Dog Bark Collar said...

I am very enjoyed for this blog. It help me very much to solve some problems. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us. I appreciate it very much! Looking forward to another great blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...