Sunday, February 16, 2020

Patch's Canine Peanut Butter Balls



In early February I adopted Patch, a 5.5 year old English Setter boy who has tested positive for Lyme disease and anaplasmosis. 

He's not a food motivated dog, which to me is perplexing.  He turned his nose up at any treats I had in the house, including the homebaked senior treats I created for the late and great Jorja and Elliot.

Patch is the first dog I met who didn't gobble the soft, pumpkin/oatmeal based cookies.  Even Max, adopted in November 2019 is a big fan.



So, I decided it was time to find what might get Patch's jowls drooling. 

I thought I would start with a peanut butter flavor.  I mean, who can resist peanut butter?  I tried a few variations and this one seems to be a hit.  It's easy to put together and doesn't require a mixer.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 grated carrot (I use the nutribullet)
1/4 cup organic peanut butter (no additives)
1 tbsp flaxseed
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil melted
1 egg
1-1/2 cup oatmeal

Combine carrot, peanut butter, flaxseed and coconut oil in a bowl.
Beat egg and stir into mixture.  Stir in oatmeal a little at a time until all is combined.

form into 1/2 inch balls (gloves recommended) and place on parchment lined cookie tray.

Bake for 10 minutes at 350 then turn off oven and let sit in oven for 45 minutes. Remove and cool. 

Refrigerate. Makes approx. 50 treats


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...