Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It takes a caterpillar to make a butterfly II

I decided to prove my point when a Gulf Fritillary caterpillar made it very easy for me to observe metamorphosis.  I caught him hanging down early one morning and realized he was about to become a chrystalis.  I photographed him in the afternoon....how fast they transform!  TODAY was emerging day and I was lucky enough to, once again, capture it on film (ok, an sd card).  I am amazed that this large butterfly came out of that tiny chrystalis.  Nature never ceases to amaze me. He fluttered a time or two, but wasn't ready to fly away.....by noon, however he (she??) was gone, hopefully to lay eggs and start the process over again.  Think twice before you complain about something chewing on your plants.....it might be a rewarding experience!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...