Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What a Critter-filled day in the Garden!

As usual, I headed out in the yard with the dogs this morning and checked the citrus trees for Giant Swallowtail Larvae.  I was greeted with a caterpillar who was beginning the Pupae stage.  I noted his location and continued to look around to see what I could see.  I saw a Giant Swallowtail bobbing a weaving by the citrus.....hopefully laying more eggs.  I headed to grab the camera when I saw a long-tailed skipper which is an illusive butterfly to catch on film (ok....sd card).  When I looked around the bottlebrush, I saw a Green Lynx spider (Peucetia viridans) sitting atop her nest.  I captured a photo of the swallowtail chrysalis and then was rewarded with patience because the butterfly came right in my area and alit on some native blackberry (Rubus).  I also captured a stink bug (Podisus) on native Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata).  Completing my morning trek was a Black Saddlebags dragonfly (Tramea lacerata).  The spider is pictured.  Photos of others can be seen at http://twitpic.com/photos/PineLilyFNPS

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...