Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Caterpillar Tartare?

A young hawk visited this week and sat on the fence rail as he studied various parts of the garden. He suddenly swooped down into one of the overgrown pollinator sections and came away with a prize. At first I couldn't quite figure out what he grabbed, but then I realized he must have gotten one of the large gooey caterpillars that use Ludwigia spp. as a larval host. I had spotted a rather large specimen of a
Banded Sphinx Moth Caterpillar (Eumorpha fasciatus) a few days earlier. He stared at me and didn't even offer to share what he held in his claws.

2 comments:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Loret he is gorgeous...I would love a hawk to come closer.

Unknown said...

I missed this gorgeous hawk! Tartare.. good one..as in how all the eild things dine :-) Nice capture..!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...