Sunday, October 14, 2012

New Life List Dragonfly

I noticed a dragonfly which appeared to have squared off wings, something I'd never seen before. Reminded me of those planes we watched in old time movies that rapidly crashed after getting about 3 feet airborne. Said dragonfly was quite elusive and me without the zoom camera, only the point and shoot. I followed stealthily and caught a picture or two, enough to identify the Band-winged Dragonlet (Erythrodiplax umbrata). Upon close-up inspection on computer screen, the wings are normal shape, just the outer edges are nearly invisible making the darkness of the bands give an allusion of wing squareness. Thrilled with a new member of my buggy life list, I now will try to get a better photograph, perhaps some early morning when the dragons are a little less lively.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I have to keep a dragonfly life list? ;-) Pretty little guy..looks like a Widow Skimmer..There are still Dragonflies out & about here saw them today..zoom..zoom.. Big ones, unknown type..

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

So cool...I am hoping to keep a critter journal starting in spring...maybe even winter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...