Saturday, May 19, 2012

Green, More than the Color of Money

I was out at the pond trying to find the small butterwort plant to photograph and the pond is rather shallow so I was pretty far down the bank. As I disappeared below the edge I was surprised that this guy came flying in over my head. From the flight coming in for a landing I first thought it was one of the grackles. I think he was surprised that a human was "below ground" so when it saw me it hopped over the pond and landed on the other side. So glad I always have my camera at the ready. Mr. Green Heron (or Mrs.?) didn't stay long, but he made that squawk as he flew away which cracks me up.

This is only the 2nd time I've seen them at my place so it was a rewarding encounter.

2 comments:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Would love to see one of these up close...lovely

Rambling Woods said...

When you see these green herons..watch..they are one of the few birds to use tools.. They will drop a stick or a leaf to bring the fish up in order to grab it. We have both great blue and the green visiting our pond..I have some photos of them on my nature blog..Michelle.. or google green heron hunting on U-tube

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...