Friday, January 5, 2018

Jorja and Elliot's Senior Canine Soft Treats


Jorja approved!
Update May 2018:  I now am adding ground flaxseed (1/8 cup).  I also made them substituting blackberries for the cranberries which are available in my yard now.  And, I did try the coconut oil.  Still a hit with the woofs.

Jorja and Elliot are 11 and 10 year old English Setter rescues, the former rescued in May 2017 and the latter rescued in September 2013.  Both have had cancer which involved surgery.

Elliot had a malignant tumor removed from his throat area back in early 2014 and has been cancer free since.  He does suffer from terrible arthritis which had been treated primarily with supplements (Actistatin) and 6 months ago we added a single daily dose of pain killer (Carprofen).

Jorja has had surgery to remove mammary tumors twice in the 6 months since she joined our family and so far the areas that were operated on don't show any signs of recurrence. We keep a close watchful eye since she was only spayed a few days before we adopted her and cancer in unspayed dogs or those spayed late in life is quite common after age 10.

In addition, while she still gets around well at age 11 she is showing beginning signs of arthritis when getting up in the morning.  We have put her on the vet-recommended supplement mentioned above.

We are striving to fend off further problems and did a little research on battling cancer and arthritis through natural foods.  This is the recipe I came up with and a test taste over the past 2 months indicates that I'm on target from my doggie's perspective.  They LOVE them even pushing one another out of the way to get to me first.

Elliot even seems to have a perkier step since I whipped up this recipe.  They get them a few times throughout the day and three before bed.

3 ounces fresh cranberries (or try seasonal berries, such as blackberries)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup organic turmeric powder
1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper (use a pepper grinder)
1/8 cup ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon Oil (olive or coconut)
1 16 oz can 100% pumpkin (not pie filling)
1 egg  beaten
2 cups dried oatmeal (I put mine in the Nutribullet for 15 seconds or so to make is more flour-like for mixing but you don't have too)
4 ounces fresh spinach chopped fine
fresh elderberry flowers (optional---I put them in when available from my yard)


Cook cranberries in water for about 8 minutes until they crack and can be easily mashed.  Mash and allow to cool.

Blend in turmeric, black pepper and oil
blend in pumpkin and egg
add dried oatmeal and flaxseed a little at a time and mix until blended.
blend in chopped spinach and elderberry flowers.
drop by teaspoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheets.  They do not spread so you can drop close together.

Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes.  Cool and store in the refrigerator in a closed container for up to two weeks. Makes about 60-70 treats. Although I haven't tried it, you probably can freeze them.  I always freeze pumpkin bread without any problems.

You can use a mixer or just mix using muscle power.  I have made them both ways.  If I'm feeling strong and lazy I just use the pot I cook the cranberries in and mix everything up with a fork.

If my back is bothering me I generally opt for the mixer but then there is more cleanup of the bowl, beaters, etc.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...