Friday, July 6, 2012

As one disappears another moves in

Well, as predicted in the last article, the birds were brainless.  Two days after the photos of the mockingbird eggs were taken, the nest was emptied.  I gave it a day or two to see if the mockers would try again.  No takers. 
 
As if on queue, I spotted a pair of bluebirds dragging pine needles to the nesting box merely feet from the mockingbird nest of demise. 
 
To avoid any type of confrontation, I removed the mockingbird nest to a better location (in MY view).  I don't want the bluebirds jumpy or uneasy about tending to their next brood.  I just hope that whatever reached in and grabbed the mockingbird eggs doesn't have the ability to circumvent the metal baffle that I fashioned around the bluebird nesting box post.  That location has thusfar escaped any "horror" from something up the food chain and I'm hoping to keep it that way.
 
Been a rough go for nesting birds this year.  The doves opted to attempt a second try in the oak in the front yard.  There one day cooking two eggs, gone the next....a pulled feather in the nest all that was left. 
 
Ahhh nature....sometimes a little hard to take!

2 comments:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I know what you mean...wrens nested and were gone in 2 weeks...no idea...robins moved to my neighbors tree...I think the bluebirds are in the house...found sparrows in my ninebark that were fledging...I just never know around here

Unknown said...

Good luck with the Bluebirds Loret!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...